What Landlords Need to Know 


A traditional “To Let” board will always help market your property also our high street presence in a major shopping precinct is an ideal shop window for your property. We also subscribe to Rightmove and Zoopla property web sites.


We will agree a rent to be quoted to potential Tenants. Unless specifically agreed otherwise this will exclude all payments for which the Landlord is responsible such as ground rent and service charges. It is normal for the Tenant to take over responsibility for the gas, electricity, water and telephone accounts during a tenancy, to pay for any fuel used, and for tenancies of six months and over, to be responsible for Council Tax.

Rent Remittances

Rent will usually be paid to us by standing order. The UK banking system can take several working days to clear these items, but we endeavour to pass on to the Landlord the balance of rent as soon as possible.

Furnished Lettings

The Landlord should ensure that furniture included within the property complies with the Furniture Furnishing (Fire Safety Regulation) 1988.

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1994

The Landlord is required by law to maintain in good order and check for safety all gas appliances at least every 12 months. All work should be carried out by Gas Safe registered installers (the Gas Safe registration has replaced the CORGI scheme).

We would recommend that any gas central heating system should be covered by an annual check and maintenance scheme. All other appliances should be similarly regularly serviced and checked for safety annually. Details of service agreements may be obtained through ourselves.


The Landlord is required by law to ensure that all electrical equipment supplied within the property conforms to the latest electrical safety regulations, and that all electrical installations are to the current standards and safe.


The let property and the contents should be comprehensively insured by you. The Landlord should inform their insurer of their intention to let the property, as failure to do so may mean the rejection of any future claim. We can arrange all types of insurance should it be required including rent guarantee. Please ask for further information.

Tenancy Agreement

The Tenancy Agreement will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy as defined in Section 20 of the Housing Act 1988 and the provisions for recovery of possession by the Landlord in Section 21 thereof will apply. The term must be for a fixed period of not less than six months. Notice requiring possession should be served two months prior to the date possession is required and the Landlord should instruct us in writing to issue the Notice of Possession as required.

If the Tenant remains in possession after the expiry of the term and no new tenancy comes into being, the Tenant becomes entitled to a statutory periodic tenancy which the Landlord can bring to an end after serving on the Tenant no less than two months notice stating that the Landlord requires possession of the premises.


The Landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is in good condition for letting. In particular it must be thoroughly cleaned and in good repair, with all domestic appliances in full working order and we recommend that the gas central heating boiler should have the benefit of an annual service contract, a copy of which should be left with us.

Should any rent arrears or breaches of covenant be brought to our attention, the Landlord will be informed. Thereafter and, in particular should legal action be thought necessary, we can assist in legal action for the Landlord between the Tenant and the Landlord.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

These certificates rate the energy efficiency of a home, giving a score on a scale of A-G. Homes in band A are the most efficient, and should therefore have the lowest fuel bills. You need to obtain an EPC on a property before placing it on the market.

You are able to order EPCs through us at a special discounted rate. We will, on your behalf obtain an EPC when required but they only need renewing every 10 years.

Our documents are reviewed and updated on a regular basis and as lawyers we can advise the Landlord on legal technicalities without charge. The Landlord can consult their own Solicitor if they require further information about their rights and obligations as a Landlord.


Prior to letting the property, please ensure that…

A) If the property is leasehold: any intended letting is permitted by the terms of the Lease; any tenancy is for a period expiring prior to the termination of your Lease; the written permission of your Landlord, if required under the terms of your Lease, is obtained for subletting.

B) If the property to be let is subject to a mortgage: Permission is obtained from the building society/bank or other lender. Your lender may have specific requirements before it will permit a letting and therefore it is advisable to approach them with a view to obtaining permission as early as possible, and well before the commencement of the letting. You should note that the lender will usually have power to terminate the letting if mortgage payments are not maintained and other requirements complied with.

C) Authority to let the property is obtained in writing from any joint owners who should be named in the Tenancy Agreement.


If a tenant pays a deposit in connection with an assured shorthold tenancy (“AST”) the deposit must, from the moment it is received, be dealt with in accordance with a government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme.

The landlord must give the tenant and any Relevant Person ‘prescribed information’ about the deposit and comply with the initial requirements of an authorised scheme within the Statutory Time Limit.

We are a member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, which is a government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme, administered by:

The Dispute Service Limited
1 The Progression Centre
42 Mark Road
Hemel Hempstead

Phone: 0300 037 1000
Web: www.tenancydepositscheme.com
Email: deposits@tenancydepositscheme.com

For full details please read Henwick Properties Tenancy Deposit Scheme


In the event that you are at any time dissatisfied with any level of service given to you by Henwick Properties we would ask you to contact the senior partner Garry Kaxe who will assist you in dealing with any queries that may arise in connection with any aspect of our service and terms of business. For details please see our Complaints Procedure.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search